Wednesday 8 August 2012

MY FAVOURITE OLYMPIC MOMENT - DAVID GANDY

David Gandy

For some reason my greatest Olympics memory is Daley Thompson winning gold at the 1984 Games in the decathlon. However, if my awful maths is correct, that would make me four years of age, so I very much doubt I would have been watching or remember the event. But to me Daley Thompson doing his triumphant back flip is such an iconic image – shown over and over again – that it’s ingrained on my mind.

When I read about the ’84 Los Angeles Olympics I realise just how special Thompson had to be and how hard he had to work to defend his title against his great rival, the world record holder Jürgen Hingsen.

Thompson seemed very likeable and charming, with a huge personality, and that endeared him to people.

I understand now that he was quite controversial in many respects. He seems to have been dismissive of the press, and uttered an obscenity on live television when he was awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

If anything, this has made me like him just that little bit more. We should still be as proud of him today as we were in 1984.

David Gandy is Britain’s top male model



Source: OMEGA

1 comment:

shazza fox said...

David's favorite Olympic Moment occurred when he was 4 years old? I've been wondering where he was during this Olympics. Why is he living so far in the past, when he has so much going now. UK is doing so well this time and I was looking forward to seeing him driving around in his restored classic car with his beautiful lady and cheering on the home team. Good luck to him anyway, he has only himself to please.